Angus – A Brand Apart
Angus as a brand name is probably unique in agriculture for its recognition as a traditional beef cattle breed name and as a hallmark of the finest quality in butchers shop windows and in gourmet restaurants. Angus beef is famous the world over for its gentle marbling and natural succulence and tenderness.
The Irish Angus Producer Group are sole agents for Certified Irish Angus Beef Scheme registered and operated by the Irish Angus Cattle society. ABP is a registered processing partner for the Irish Aberdeen Angus Producers.
Specification for Certified Angus Cattle
- All animals must be sired by a registered purebred Angus bull or A.I.
- Identity cards must declare the breed of animal as Angus or Angus cross.
- All animals must be polled.
- All animals must be booked with the Producer Group prior to slaughter.
- The vendor must be a member of the Bord Bia Beef Farm Quality Assurance Scheme prior to slaughtering any cattle.
- The Producer Group Inspector will be the final judge, by visual inspection, as to whether an animal is suitable for the Angus Beef Scheme.
- Computerised trace-back system to the farms of origin.
- All animals must be booked with the producer group prior to slaughter.
- The vendor must be a member of the BLQAS scheme EN 45011